Medical Treatment

You have suffered an injury at work as a result of an accident. You have reported the injury to your employer, now what? It is time for you to seek medical treatment. Many employees assume that they can go to their primary care physician. If you are seeking treatment for a work related injury, the law requires that you select a physician from a list provided by your employer. Your employer will post a list of physicians in one of two forms.

Panel of Physicians

If your employer posts a panel of physicians, the list must contain at least six physicians which have been approved by the State Board of Workers’ Compensation. The panel must include an orthopedic surgeon, four properly qualified physicians, and at least one mother minority physician.

Workers’ Compensation Managed Care Organization (WC/MCO)

If your employer posts the Workers’ Compensation Managed Care Organization, the company they are contracted with must be certified and approved by the State Board of Workers’ Compensation.  Your employer must post a 24 hour toll free number to the company they contract with so that you may call them at any time.  The Workers’ Compensation Managed Care Organization will assist you with finding an eligible medical provider and assist you with making an appointment with that provider.

What If I Am Displeased With the Physician I Have Chosen?

If you are dissatisfied with the physician you have chosen, you are able to make one change without prior approval from your employer or insurance carrier, provided the physician you are unhappy with is the first physician you have seen. Should you find yourself equally dissatisfied with your second physician, you must seek approval and concurrence from your employer, insurance carrier ,and/or the workers’ compensation administrator.

Emergency Treatment

If you are injured and require true emergency treatment, you may receive temporary medical care from your nearest available emergency room. Once the emergency has concluded, you must obtain any further treatment from a physician the list provided by your employer.

What Types of Treatments May Be Covered?

Many treatments may be covered, provided that you follow the proper procedures to obtain the treatment.

If your authorized treating physician says you are in need of an X-Ray, MRI, CT scan or ultrasound, your physician will arrange for these tests.

If you are in need of surgery, your doctor will notify your employer and/or insurance carrier prior to scheduling surgery. Once your employer and/or insurance carrier has been notified, your doctor will work with them to confirm that all necessary preparations and precautions are made, so that your surgery is covered.

If you need physical therapy, your physician will refer you to a physical therapy provider. Without a referral from your authorized physician, physical therapy may not be covered.

If you are prescribed medication for your work related injury by your authorized physician, they will be covered under workers’ compensation.  Ask your employer and/or insurance carrier if they have any special procedures to obtain the medication. If there are any procedures and you did not contact your employer and/or insurance carrier to inquire, you may have to pay for the prescriptions first and be reimbursed after.

Contact 1Georgia Injury Lawyers, PLLC

If you are unable to receive the proper treatment you require resulting from your work related injury, there is help. The help of an experienced workers’ compensation attorney, like the lawyers at 1Georgia Injury Lawyers, PLLC, can be vital. If you have legal questions, we have answers – contact us today!